Small business owners in our community need your help now more than ever.
Every year, SCORE volunteers help hundreds of local entrepreneurs start small businesses and achieve new levels of success. Volunteering at SCORE New York City is a way for you to give back, network with business experts, and share your knowledge.
Become a SCORE Volunteer Today!
For more than 50 years, SCORE mentors have provided solutions and answers for free to thousands of entrepreneurs and small business owners across this city. Last year, SCORE volunteers helped 5,000 entrepreneurs start small businesses and achieve new levels of success in their existing businesses creating more jobs for the metropolitan region.
Volunteering at SCORE is a way for you to give back to your community, connect with fellow business owners, and pass on your knowledge and expertise to the next generation of entrepreneurs in your community. SCORE volunteers provide confidential business mentoring services, both online and in person. We lead seminars and workshops to help small business owners meet their goals and achieve success.
If you are interested, we have many opportunities to contribute to our organization and the business community. We provide training and support. You provide your skills, talents, passion, and energy to give others hope and help them succeed.
SCORE NYC is actively recruiting volunteers in these areas:
- Certified Primary Mentors - 5+ years of experience required as a senior executive or the owner of a business with broad-based experience AND available 10 hours a month.
- Professional Specialists such as an accountant, import/export, patent or trademark attorney, insurance broker, social media expert, non-profits, health care, entertainment, restaurateur or retailer who can bring specific expertise to the business community.
- Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Web Design, eCommerce, Graphic Design, Social Media, Speakers, Translators, Outreach, Fundraising, Operations who can help us connect and engage with our community.
- Videographer for Recording New Webinars and Video Editor for Repurposing Webinars.
- Administration and Office Support Comfortable with Microsoft Word, Excel, internet, and e-mail and able to volunteer at least 10 hours/month. Help organize seminars and workshops, plan events, engage with clients using Constant Contact, and develop marketing materials and written procedures for office activities.
- Business Development and Community Outreach: People with experience in business development with partners and fundraising in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and The Bronx.
Our volunteers are the lifeblood of SCORE.
SCORE is proud to have the nation’s largest network of volunteer, expert business mentors. Join our team of 10,000+ volunteers, and share your talents and expertise with the small business community. You can help in four different volunteer roles:
- Mentor: offer confidential business mentoring services, either in person or online
- Subject matter expert: provide focused knowledge based on your professional skills or industry
- Workshop presenter: lead local workshops, seminars and events to help entrepreneurs meet their goals and achieve success
- Chapter support role: share your skills in marketing, tech, finance, fundraising and more to help expand the outreach of SCORE
- Video Editing
At SCORE, we celebrate our mission through values such as Volunteers Matter and Lifelong Learning. All new members are trained to fulfill their roles effectively and are expected to reaffirm their commitment to SCORE’s mentoring methodology and code of ethics annually.
Benefits of Volunteering:
SCORE volunteers enjoy a variety of personal, local and national rewards. As a SCORE Volunteer, you can:
- Feel good knowing you helped someone achieve their goals and dreams
- Give back to your community by helping small businesses thrive and driving economic growth
- Become a recognized leader in your local business community
- Make new friends and network with SCORE volunteers and business leaders in your area
- Grow professionally and personally with SCORE's Lifelong Learning training programs
- Learn More About Our Volunteer Opportunities -
A SCORE mentor is an advisor who helps individuals and small businesses reach their goals. Mentors provide free business advice and education to aspiring entrepreneurs and existing business owners. As a mentor, you’ll help clients solve problems, make businesses more efficient, and assist with developing long-term business plans.
The ideal mentor is empathetic, flexible, and loves connecting people to the right resources. Mentors often have significant experience within their field, excellent communication skills, and the ability to dedicate a few hours a week.
Subject Matter Expert
As a SCORE subject matter expert (SME), you assist clients with your specific skill-set and expertise. In this role, you will co-mentor alongside one of SCORE’s certified mentors. You will provide free business advice and education in your area of experience to clients who want to start, grow or exit their businesses.
As an SME, you’ll have access to an amazing network of SCORE volunteers and many resources for professional growth—while helping small businesses in your community. Subject matter experts should have the ability to dedicate a few hours per month.
Are you interested in volunteering with SCORE but don’t think mentoring is the best role for you? Consider volunteering as a workshop presenter.
Workshop presenters share their business acumen with their local community. As a workshop presenter, you’ll create and deliver presentations in your community, and facilitate roundtable discussions.
If you have a few hours to give once a year, our SCORE New York City clients will benefit from your expertise.
Chapter Support Roles
If you don't wish to mentor or train entrepreneurs but still want to volunteer, there are many other ways that you can help. Our SCORE New York City chapter depends on the talent and time of volunteers to help entrepreneurs achieve their dreams of small business ownership.
These volunteers are staffed on tasks based on their unique skills and are welcome to assist with leadership and support tasks, as well as work on specific projects.
Join Our Community
Volunteering at SCORE means you are joining a community of more than 10,000 diverse volunteers who are all committed to helping small business owners succeed. Whether you have owned your own small business, worked in a Fortune 500 company, are retired and have a sincere commitment for helping small businesses, there is a place for you as a SCORE volunteer.Apply Now