New York Women in Business
What is New York Women in Business?
NYWIB is a coalition of women's professional and business organizations whose formation SCORE NYC spearheaded in 2016. The coalition currently includes eight professional women’s organizations. Besides SCORE NYC, it includes organizations such as The Financial Women’s Association (FWA), The National Association of Women Business Owners and Women Entrepreneurs (NAWBO) and NYC (WE NYC), an initiative of the New York City Department of Small Business Services helps women start and grow their businesses
Why was it created?
NYC has more women-owned businesses than any other city in the U.S.. Women own more than 40% of businesses in NYC and these grew as much as 4X faster than those owned by men. Nevertheless, a 2015 study by the NYC Department of Small Business Services found that these women felt they had significantly greater challenges than men in accessing skills training, mentors, and information and resources to start and run their businesses.
What are its goals?
NYWIB’s goals are to help women in business to become more successful personally and professionally by providing them with:
• A supportive community for learning and exchange of ideas with peers;
• Exposure to innovative ideas, fresh perspectives and thinking that has the potential to positively transform their personal and professional lives;
• The opportunity to build critical business skills and strong, high value alliances with other professionals
How does it achieve these goals?
Sharing member resources and expertise, NYWIB offers women in business fresh ideas and perspectives. Our events all offer opportunities for networking with peers outside their own industries and thought-provoking presentations by thought leaders and subject matter experts. unique access to thought leaders and events and promotes opportunities for them to learn and grow.
Previous events have included topics such as:
- 10 Secrets of Social Media Success
- Your Network Is A Goldmine - Are You Scratching The Surface Or Tapping Its Full Potential?
- What You Say Matters: Nail Your Pitch and Stand Out
- Unlock The Heart of Your Brand Story
- What High-Earning Service Professionals Do Differently
- How Women Can Get The Business Funding They Need
- Overcoming The Imposter Syndrome
Its online directory of women-owned business increases its community of entrepreneurs chances of being found by other businesses needing their products and services. It also makes it easier to connect with others for help with staffing, resources, and opportunities for collaboration. Registering and listing a business is free and only takes five minutes.